[jbosstools-dev] Question on ASTools profiling

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 09:43:34 EST 2013

This is mostly a question for Snjezana, but anyone else who knows feel
free to chime in:

I noticed in AbstractJBossStartLaunchConfiguration is the following
block of code:

         if (ILaunchManager.PROFILE_MODE.equals(mode)) {
             try {
                 ServerProfilerDelegate.configureProfiling(launch, vm,
runConfig, monitor);

I'm attempting the beginnings of trying to refactor a lot of the ASTools
launching behavior, and I need to know what kind of changes these
profile delegates will make to the launch. I'm not sure I have the
proper environment up, but, if you could tell me how to test it and use
it, I'd be super grateful.

It's always a bit dangerous when touching or moving code that you're not
familiar with how it works.

This block of code is also a bit inconvenient since it happens after 95%
of the launch code but before the vmrunner.run(etc), so it requires us
to basically copy a superclass's entire 300 line method in order to
sneak the profiling bit in before the launch is run.

Anyway, any advice on how this works, what kinda changes it can make to
the launch, or how to set up my env to test it, would be very helpful.