[jbosstools-dev] Running Maven tests against a pre-existing RCP application

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 10:04:38 EST 2013

Hi all,

With Tycho 0.19.0, we could fix the long-standing issue JBIDE-13869.
This will allow you to run your test with Maven against an RCP
application which is available in your filesystem.
You can do it by simply running for example:
   $ cd tests/my.test.bundle
   $ mvn clean verify -Dtest.profileName=epp.package.jee
-Dtest.installPath=/home/me/eclipse-4.4.M2
If test.installPath is not set, you get the default surefire behaviour
which is to generate a simple minimal installation to run the tests in
target/work.
More info about the profileName can be found in
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Testing_with_Surefire#p2Installed_on_provisioned_RCP_application
. This works on any RCP application that relies on p2 (in case you want
to test JBoss Tools inside Websphere Studio ;).

We've configured it so that by default, it is JBDS-friendly and set the
jbds profileName. So to test on JBDS, you can simply use:
   $ mvn clean verify
-Dtest.installPath=/home/me/jbdevstudio-8.0.0.Alpha1-SNAPSHOT/studio

Except a few exception, other surefire parameters, such as the very cool
debugPort parameter, can be used together with this mechanism.

Enjoy!
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>