[jbosstools-dev] Running Maven tests against a pre-existing RCP application

Denis Golovin dgolovin at exadel.com
Wed Nov 13 03:15:48 EST 2013

> On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 06:17:40PM -0800, Denis Golovin wrote:
>> Mickael,
>>
>> sounds really good :), so I gave it a try and found out:
>
>> 1. Not all our test plug-ins are ready to be used with this feature
>> due to
>> forgetting include test projects into binary build; so far I've found
>> o.j.t.tests.test and o.j.t.foundation.core.test have such problem; I
>> couldn't
>> go further than foundation.core.test plug-in because of problems
>> explained
>> below
>
> You mean forgetting to add files/directories in build.properties ?
>
> That should even fail just running a normal mvn test thus that sounds
> weird?

This is exactly what I mean, I haven't look why it works in tycho yet, I
guess tycho runs it the same way as Eclipse does it from Development
environment.

> It is worth noting that this feature aren't really expected to work
> with all our unit tests out of the box - mainly since the unittests
> been written
> to run in a much more constrained environement.

> It is mostly useful to automate running of the integration tests AND
> to allow
> testing in different installs without having to rebuild the test plugins.

Looking through
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Testing_with_Surefire#p2Installed_on_provisioned_RCP_application
I don't see how we can do this. Mickael, could you help with example here?

>> 2. Second try to run usually ends up with
>>
>> [INFO] Installing IUs [org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test,
>> org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.osgibooter,
>> org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.junit4] to /
>> home/eskimo/jbdevstudio-java-with-space/studio
>> Installing org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206.
>> Installing org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.osgibooter 0.19.0.
>> Installing org.eclipse.tycho.surefire.junit4 0.19.0.
>> Installation failed.
>> Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
>> Software being installed: JBoss Foundation Tests
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206
>> (org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206)
>> Software currently installed: JBoss Foundation Tests
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0203 (org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test
>> 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0203)
>> Only one of the following can be installed at once:
>>  JBoss Foundation Tests 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0203
>> (org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0203)
>>  JBoss Foundation Tests 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206
>> (org.jboss.tools.foundation.core.test 1.1.0.Alpha1-v20131109-0206)
>> Application failed, log file location:
>> /tmp/config3255596288906066066equinox/
>> 1383962733126.log
>> [INFO]
>
> looks like you are running against an install that already have the
> tests installed ?
> Where else would it get conflicting features from ?

That's how it works now. I just run test again and again which is pretty
much repeats test developing process. Current implementation doesn't let
do do that.