[jbosstools-dev] On just updating description in jira...

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 12:17:10 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:18:15AM -0500, Nick Boldt wrote:
>TL;DR: use a filter to avoid unwanted email.

that does not help this issue - it still impossible to just get a delta for this kind of issue.

I would have to explicltiy filter out desciption updates for specific jiras...since 99.5% updates
are actually informative.

>We've already discussed this [1], [2].
>
>[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBDS-2710?focusedCommentId=12850819&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-12850819
>
>[2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBDS-2710?focusedCommentId=12851040&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-12851040
>
>If you are getting too much JIRA notification email, please consider
>filtering anything with a title containing "JBDS-" or "JBIDE-" which
>also contains "edited comment" or "Nick Boldt updated JB" in the email
>body. That's how I minimize the churn in my inbox, since I also get
>those notifications.

So you want me to not see your updates ?

>For 3rd party validation issues, like JBDS-2710 and all the versions
>that preceded it, I:
>
>* maintain the description of the issue so that anyone can quickly
>look at the issue and see what is happening for the current release of
>Central / TP updates w.r.t. 3rd party content

Thats what I'm confused because the subtasks says that much better to me.
The description needs to be read..again ...and again.

>* add status updates as new comments to the JIRA as well, so you can
>see what has changed, why, and when.
>
>It's a bit like *committing changes to a file in github*, so you can
>*diff the versions*, but also *providing helpful commit comments* for
>each change.
>
>It's a workflow that works for me and provides TWO ways to track the
>overall status of all the 3rd party content that Mickael & I have to
>manage for each release.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have this "summary" in a doc instead of inside jira then ?