[jbosstools-dev] Building the server component

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Wed Sep 25 14:20:20 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 08:30:44AM +0200, Mickael Istria wrote:
>On 09/24/2013 09:47 PM, Denis Golovin wrote:
>>1. More jenkins builds
>We already have many jobs on Jenkins and the reactivity is not always
>very good. Adding 30 to 40 more jobs will not make it better.
>Despite of that, there is nothing preventing us from doing this.
>Please open a Jira.

I really would like to see us use something like https://github.com/maxandersen/buildchow
or maybe even the literatebuild approach http://jenkins-ci.org/content/literate-builds-wtf which
would allow for defining builds more 'declaratively' and easier to handle branches and allow
one to reproduce our jenkins build setup locally and not be 117% tied to our
jenkins instances.

The number of jobs currently handedited or search/replaced and then sometimes edited on the server
is making it very hard to share/move around to do things ike this "test run a PR".

>>2. Have no Idea how to deal with PR's related to each other for
>>different components

Basically these just won't be able to do with this approach imo.
But how many jobs do you actually have that needs this ?

>It's concretely impossible to make sure a PR 123 of server builds
>against what was suggested in PR 57 of base, for the following reason:
>* PR123 has no knowledge that it depends on another PR from another
>component. So there is no way to automatically choose a specific build
>output for another component.
>* Job triggering is not deterministic since it depends on availability
>of slaves, number of pull requests in the pipe, job duration... So we
>can't rely on assumptions such as "PR were pushed at the same time, so
>they'll build fine".

Even you could be deterministic - the jobs using a PR should not be publsihing
their result anywhere for downstream usage since it has been merged in yet.

>So in that case of linked PR, the output of automated build for PR
>suggested above would be: green for PR57, red for PR123. The process
>would be to merge PR57 first, build it with the regular job, and then
>re-run build for PR123.

yes.