[jbosstools-dev] How should we deal with components of projects which have not changed since JBT 4.1.0.Final (eg., jbosstools-base/runtime) ?

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 05:32:02 EDT 2013

> not sure I follow you fully here - which category.xml and what kind of
> version ranges would you set ?
I'm saying that bundles and features version should be bumped just after
a release, and that aggregator category.xml should use version range
that match the stream [x.y.z,x.y.z+1) . So we control what stream gets in.

>> It appears that this use-case is covered by Tycho baseline
>> replacement mechanism. This mechanism currently can't work for us
>> until we have reproducible qualifiers (which I don't like).
> Because you want CI == Release builds, right ? Thats just not very
> feasible wit p2/tycho :/
No, it's just that it would be better if we would avoid creating new
bundles just because build date is different. That's the purpose of
whole baseline mechanism, re-use existing compatible builds from release
when it makes sense instead of creating the same bundle with another
timestamp.
But I think it is indeed not necessary if components have a string
versioning and bump their versions after each release. In such case,
having a baseline comparator such a the version watch tool would be
enough. Rule would be: if same x.y.z than an existing release, but with
different qualifier, fail build telling developer to bump the version.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>