[jbosstools-dev] How should we deal with components of projects which have not changed since JBT 4.1.0.Final (eg., jbosstools-base/runtime) ?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 11:49:34 EDT 2013

>HOWEVER...
>
>That doesn't solve the issue of having a subcomponent *unchanged* when
>the rest of the component *HAS changed*.

As I said - if you are in one repository you get released together. Keep it simple.
Don't overoptimize if not really necessary.

>In that case, we would need to release the unchanged subcomponents
>separate from the changed ones, so that we can composite/aggregate the
>correct versions and avoid the impending situation described below,
>where an end-user updating from JBT 4.1.0 to 4.1.1 would get two
>copies of the same plugin:
>
>org.jboss.tools.runtime.core 2.1.0.Final-v20130717-0450-B102 (in 4.1.0)
>org.jboss.tools.runtime.core 2.1.0.Final-v20131200-0000-Bxxx (in 4.1.1)

>I would prefer to not start adding more github repos and jobs

if setup of jobs wasn't a manual thing then this would be much less of an issue, right ?

>, but if
>these subcomponents are going to evolve more slowly than their
>containing projects, then maybe that's a necessary evil? Otherwise, we
>could simply have more than one update site produced by the project,

That sounds to me be just the same or even more work if we had more repo/jobs since
then it would be handled even more differently depending on each component "inner movement" ?

>and selectively publish them to different locations so the unchanged
>can be released to
>/updates/stable/kepler/<project>/<subcomponent>/<version> and the
>changing can remain in CI / staging, to be aggregated along with the
>rest of the stack.

Unless you tell me one of these base components are several ten/hundreds MB's of updates then i'm fine with each repository
being the granularity of updates. More important issues to fix than this IMO.

/max