[jbosstools-dev] [action] jbosstools-base/runtimes packages have been re-organized

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 12:58:53 EDT 2013

Hi All:

I did use-scans everywhere I possibly could, and tried to maintain that
all current APIs still work, but I did finally get around to marking
most of runtimes code to be internal. I also did not stop exporting any
of the original packages, yet.  But this is the notice that in the next
major release, those packages will no longer be exported.

So... sometime in the next few weeks / months, if your code uses the
runtimes component, go through your code and make sure deprecated
methods aren't used, internal packages aren't referenced, and respect
the new restrictions.

I've bumped the major version to 3.0.0 to make clear that all old
deprecated code will be removed for the next major release.

If your code is using a method for which there is no obvious
alternative, PING ME and REQUEST the api, or some similar replacement,
be made public for your use, or ask me to help you migrate your existing
code.

Again, as I said, no code should break at this point. I've locally built
base, server, javaee, and central.  But there will be further cleanup
eventually, so this is basically your warning.

if you're wondering why I made the large changes first, instead of sent
the email first, it's because it needed to be done this way. If I
alerted you first that I plan to change versions to 3.0.0, you'd update
your manifest.mf to make 3.0.0 the minimal range BEFORE i bumped hte
version, which would mean your code wouldn't compile because the 3.0.0
bundle would not be found.

So, I made the changes as API-Compatible as I can, everything is set up,
all code is marked clearly whether it's public or not, everything's
javadoc'd, and all packages are still exported. Now it's your turn to
clean your code, before I make everything hidden.

I'm not in a super rush to mark everything as hidden, but it will be for
the next major release once we can guarantee all clients are migrated.

Also, you MAY need to depend on foundation.core and foundation.ui.
Runtimes does not re-export these plugins, but it does make use of
them.  Previously, runtimes depended on common, but I have severed this
link and runtimes now depends on the lower-level foundation instead.

Again, nothing should break currently. if anything has broken, please
ping me immediately.

- Rob Stryker
Causing Problems, as usual.