[jbosstools-dev] Windup Eclipse Plugin v3.0.0 - Export Windup reports from Eclipse

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 02:57:20 EDT 2014

Hey Ian,

This mail got lost in my inbox ;/

> I could have sworn I saw HD versions of all three of the demo videos
> when
> I first uploaded them. Now looking at them again they are all small
> and
> grainy. I will have to take a look tonight to see what is going on
> with
> that.

Let me know if you figured those out ;)

> Yes, the wizard takes the already generated report out of the
> .metadata
> folder, zips/tars it up and exports it to the location of your choice.
> Also if the report does not already exists then it generates one, and
> there is the option to always generate new report before export as
> well.

cool.

> As far as adding to the global menu. I did not know where else to put
> the
> new actions. I do have the export wizard in the export wizards dialog,
> but
> the other two options to view in the windup report view and to
> generate
> the windup report need a place to live. Before I first added the menu
> was chatting with my friend who still commits to WTP about where he
> would
> put them, because I was worried about clutter, but he said he would
> create
> a new sub menu as I did.  If you have a better idea for where the
> "Open in
> Windup Report View" and "Generate Windup Report" actions could live I
> am
> all ears. The only reason I also added the "Export Windup Report"
> action
> there as well was because I already had the sub menu and it seemed
> like a
> logical place a user may look for the export function as well as
> checking
> the export dialog. But if a new home is found for the other two
> actions I
> have no problem just having the export wizard live in the export
> dialog.

The context menu is just waaaaay too crowded for having 'once in a
while' features
put on all context menus.

I would simply not put them in the context menu by default - you could
have
a command definition users can enable if they want to but otherwise just
have a command that would be accessible via Ctrl+3 or the wizards.

Or at least only show this if there is a windup report available to the
project (assuming
that can be detected in sub miliseconds so the menu does not get slow to
open)

> As far as adding all of this to the jboss-tools project. The biggest
> problem is I still not have a nightly build, and I do not have a
> nightly
> build for the eclipse plugin because I have not been able to
> coordinate
> with Brad to get a nightly build for Windup. The biggest issue with
> getting a nightly for windup would be to actually do a windup release
> and
> start doing windup development in a snapshot version rather than 0.7.0
> where it has been being done for the past year. I did start that
> conversation with Brad a few months back but it stalled out due to
> life
> events. If you all are ready to make this happen on your end then I
> can
> start trying to work with Brad again to get Windup versioning
> stabilized,
> and the nightly builds set up.

as far as I understand Lincoln is getting involved in the migration
project
so it would make sense to try coordinate the various releases with him
and Brad.

i've cc'ed him here.