[jbosstools-dev] Replacement of deprecated teiid runtime client plugins

phantomjinx p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 10:55:10 EDT 2014

Afternoon all,

As some of you may know, for Teiid Designer, I have been working over the last few months on a
single teiid-runtime-client plugin that replaces the current 3 (and was soon to be more!)
versioned teiid client plugins. The aims of the single plugin were:

* Forking the teiid codebase and importing as a git submodule was proving unsustainable and fast
becoming unmanagable hence a single plugin contained in (and maintained by Designer devs) was
preferred;

* The plugin should allow Designer to perform local sql parsing, resolving and validation of vdb
models, as well as connecting/deploying/undeploying to all teiid instances at version 7.7+;

* A single plugin where 90% of the teiid client codebase is the same should be able to handle,
with the help of annotations and version checks, the 10% of differences between teiid versions;

* Only where absolutely necessary should actual different classes be created that are teiid
version-specific, eg. Teiid7Parser, Teiid8Parser;

Thus, the single plugin is backward compatible (but then most of teiid is already backward
compatible!) but it should also be forward limiting in that validating teiid v8 sql syntax against
a teiid v7 version should correctly fail.

Currently, the plugin supports up to teiid v8.7.0.CR2 and will support 8.7.0.Final upon its
release. At this point, the plugin is being soak tested and I have now included it in nightly
builds to allow people to play with it / find bugs and otherwise spot whatevers bits I have missed.

Hope that is clear but any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

PGR

--
Paul Richardson

  * p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
  * p.g.richardson at redhat.com
  * pgrichardson at linux.com

"I know exactly who reads the papers ...

  * The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
  * The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country.
  * The Times is read by people who do actually run the country.
  * The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
  * The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.
  * The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
  * The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is."

Jim Hacker, Yes Minister