[jbosstools-dev] Regarding copyright dates

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 05:22:43 EDT 2014

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-18014

I have some problems with this issue, and I think it needs to be
clarified. All of my complaints, though, all basically come down to one
idea:   I think it's inappropriate to bump the copyrights of files that
have not changed.

The jbosstools-server repository has something like 1400 java files, not
to mention all the other files that would need changing, features, html,
translation, etc.

Are there any tools or easy git commands to tell what files have been
changed and thus need updated copyrights?

I have no intention on updating copyrights in the dozens of wildfly /
jboss-as schema, since I have not modified them at all.

This issue is really poorly defined, and I find it a little annoying.
More thought needs to be spent on HOW to accomplish this goal, rather
than just pushing off to every developer the task of updating all their
headers regardless of whether a file has changed in any way, or the file
should be changed, or how to detect changed files.

Furthermore, if you really do intend us all to update all files to unify
/ standardize, then now would be a good time to tell us what header we
should be using across the board, since I still see various headers in
use in various places.

If we can standardize this stuff, then next time we can ensure simple
greps can do the work for us. Ideally we'd be able to (for next major)
make a utility that can find all changed files since the end of last
year, perform the copyright update for us by replacing 20xx-2013  with
20xx-2014.  We could then run this script every year.  But this depends
on all files having the same headers or at least the same header format,
and that means we need to standardize 100% on this.

Let's try to design something here that will be easily re-used and
updated next year, rather than leave it up to each developer to use
whatever headers they're currently using and all struggle at checking
the status of 2000 or more files in each repo each year.