[jbosstools-dev] Regarding copyright dates

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 04:21:22 EDT 2014

>> If we can standardize this stuff, then next time we can ensure simple
>> greps can do the work for us. Ideally we'd be able to (for next
>> major)
>> make a utility that can find all changed files since the end of last
>> year, perform the copyright update for us by replacing 20xx-2013
>> with
>> 20xx-2014.  We could then run this script every year.  But this
>> depends
>> on all files having the same headers or at least the same header
>> format,
>> and that means we need to standardize 100% on this.
>
> The jira is about standardizing it.
>
> But now I'm seeing that this is stomping alot of work and also direct
> mistruths (like it is okey
> to remove original contributors).
>
> I'm going to reject these jiras and we'll do this properly.

Ended up not rejecting these but just assign to me.

> Lets not spend wasted energy on something not even yet required.

The response from legal was very clear - we do not need to update the
year on every file.
If we want a year there, then the original year is the important one.

And we can even just have a readme/notice in root of repo/distribution
that state the
copyright range.

I've asked legal if we can get these things written down with their
review so
we can stop spending tons of time on this at each GA.

But for now - we do not have any pressing issue with the copyright date
that is more
important to fix than other issues in CR/GA timeframe.