[jbosstools-dev] What are you using in p2 repositories produced by build/CI ?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 10:10:23 EST 2014

Great we are looking at rationalizing what metadata we generate but I
think
it is the wrong question being asked. It is not wether we use the files,
it is wether we need them.

i.e. git revisions we don't use actively, but we do need them since that
is the only way we actually know which repository SHA's have been used.

I think we catch most of this in eclipse source references today - but
that is only for bundles, not for other artifacts like the udpdate
sites, features etc. thus this information is relevant.

Build properties are useful to actually reproduce or at least trace what
actually was done in the build ?

The build logs are also mostly for investigative purposes and if these
were actually available within a build that would useful (removes need
to wait for jenkins to load)

What is missing is actually being able to find and read this info.

Also, some of the files seem to be in a very hard to parse format even
though it would be really great to do so.

i.e.
http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/jbosstools-4.2.1.CR1-build-core/2014-11-23_23-27-39-B304/logs/md5sums.txt
doesn't actually list the zip name the md5sum relate to...also it looks
like the numbers are always the same which smells like a bug.

Also the git logs only says the sha1, but not which repository it comes
from.

Thus I think most of this info is actually very relevant info to have
but looks like it could be cleaned up, checked for errors and document
it.

for example what is zip.list.txt?

/max