[jbosstools-dev] AngularJS Eclipse

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Feb 28 11:35:20 EST 2014

>> Saying this in context of our experiment where we actually ask the
>> browser
> what is in the angular scope
>> at runtime....but maybe these two approaches could simply be merged
>> and we
> get best of both worlds?
> Yes I have seen that with your demo with Livereload.
>
> The pros with this mean is that you get the well methods.
> The cons with this mean is it doesn't work if your JS is not valid. I
> have
> not managed that, but I would like to manage Hyperlink
> for expression (ex : Ctrl+Click on "{{todo"  open the todo.js an
> select
> $scope.todo). With Tern I can do that (because it's an AST)
> I think you cannot do that with LiveReload?

No, but that is why I merging those two approaches would give best of
both worlds.

>> I tried installing OSX osgi bundle provided node.js and it seems to
>> NPE
> for me ;/
> Yes it was a stupid error and Victor created an issue that I have
> fixed.

I updated the plugin and I can see the node and npm binaries are not
executable
so I get an error like:

Cannot run program
"/Users/max/products/eclipse/luna/eclipse/plugins/tern.eclipse.ide.server.nodejs.embed.macosx.cocoa.x86_64_1.0.0.201402271715/nodejs/node-v0.10.22-macosx-x86_64/bin/node"
(in directory "/Users/max/Documents/workspace-luna3/dfdf"): error=13,
Permission denied

When I chmod +X those files it seem to start working.

>> I thought I actually saw this working but that might have been
>> earlier
> version.
>
>> I think the default should be that out of box Tern/angularjs
>> integration
> should use the bundled one and
>> then advanced users can decide use native one...optimally default
>> users
> should not have to care about
>> it is using node.
> I agree with you. I must improve that, but I develop this plugin in my
> spare time and I was very exciting to see tern integrated in Eclipse
> IDE.
> So I have not worked a lot about the node.js topic.
>
> We provide "embed" node.js that you must select when you install Tern
> IDE.
> Perhaps it should better to have an install URL per OS?

noo - not necessary. You can mark a bundle to just apply to a specific
OS via Eclipse-PlatformFilter

See
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-xulrunner/blob/master/plugins/org.mozilla.xulrunner.gtk.linux.x86/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF#L9
as an example.

I would suggest making the feature default require these plugins so any
install by default would work.

>> It just needs some enduser polish (i.e. users should not need to care
> about different html editors,
>> different node.js runtimes, it should "just work").
> definitely!
>
>> One concern we had was performance and portability.
>> Does Tern handle larger projects of javascript well ?
> By using node.js, tern can handle big file. But if you try to parse a
> big
> framework like dojo it takes time.
> Today Eclipse freezes, but I must do that in background.

Is there an issue for this somewhere ?