[jbosstools-dev] Esprima

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 06:57:51 EDT 2014

On 11 Jul 2014, at 12:16, Marijn Haverbeke wrote:

>> the challenge with Tern vs Esprima is that one is now EPL and used in
>> Orion
>> and thus could be used as extension in/to Eclipse JSDT - the other is
>> neither.
>
> Tern and Acorn are MIT licensed, which should be compatibly with just
> about anything, including EPL. See
> https://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php:

this does not matter for Eclipse projects - what matters first is that
the IP log is clean.

The if the license is *not* EPL it needs to get specific approval to be
included.

If we can get these IP cleared then yes, this could be used - but I
wonder why IBM/orion group
didn't just use tern. They told me "because its not IP cleared"...

In any case - having two different javascript parser for the exact same
thing in eclipse tooling
could be annoying over time.

Thus i'm considering what options do we have for this ?