[jbosstools-dev] How to Triage Issues?

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 04:11:02 EDT 2014

Hi All:

Do we have a document available with the proper way to triage issues? I
seriously have no idea anymore, and every time I try to change an old
issue, I end up getting an email telling me that it's not triaged now.

I used to assign myself, even if I didn't intend to work on it, to
indicate that it "was read". I was told this was incorrect, and that
there should be no assignee if nobody is actively working on it.

I also used to mark it as targeted to later, but I was told this was
vague and should not be used as a dumping ground for all issues that
aren't on the plan.

But if I leave the fix version blank (to indicate it is not on my plan),
I get an email telling me the issue is untriaged.

I also tried commenting on issues, to indicate that I've seen them, but
didn't change the fix version or assignee since I did not have a firm
target for it.... but this gets the same emails.

Should I go in right now and bulk-change all my unassigned untargeted
issues to myself with a fix version, even if I have no idea if that fix
version is accurate? Or should I mark all I don't have a firm target for
to "Later" ?

What's the process here?