[jbosstools-dev] GSoC project idea looking for a mentor

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 15:16:08 EDT 2014

On 13 Mar 2014, at 17:13, Jonathan Fuerth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone on the JBT team is interested in helping to
> fine-tune this idea and acting as a mentor for this year’s Summer of
> Code.
>
> From the prospective GSoC student:
>> Create Tattletale plugin for Eclipse
>> Lot of tools have plugin for eclipse. (Findbugs, PMD...). Tattletale
>> plugin for Eclipse does not exist, but this way it should be easier
>> to use comparing to usage trough console . The basic implementation
>> of this plugin could display standard Tattletale HTML report, but
>> some sub reports like "Unused Jar" or "Multiple Jar files" could
>> "mark" some referenced libraries displayed in the Eclipse controls
>> and highlight them for removal.
>
> I’ve been impressed with this student’s initiative so far, but
> unfortunately the original project he approached me about was already
> completed in last year’s round of GSoC.
>
> I found GSoC mentorship to be a fun and rewarding process. It’s not
> too heavy on red tape, so most of the time you invest is actually
> spent helping with actual coding issues. There’s maybe 90 minutes of
> filling out forms over the whole 4 month term. Depending on the
> student, you might expect to spend 4-6 hours a week mentoring on the
> coding project itself: answering questions, offering pointers to good
> docs and tutorials, making sure they don’t stay stuck on one thing
> for a week, etc.

Sounds like an interesting project but this year I think i'm personally
more interested in aiding those working on improving things
at eclipse core rather than "putting more on top". Thus I'll be signing
up for aiding on
http://prapicault.blogspot.ch/2014/03/improving-and-exploring-new-ideas-for.html

If someone else are interested in helping on Tattletale they should - I
just don't have the bandwidth to do this one.

FYI: other eclipse related gsoc's are at
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_Ideas

Good luck!