[jbosstools-dev] Target Platform 4.40.0.Beta2 for JBoss Tools 4.2.0.Beta2 has been released.

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Thu May 22 03:15:04 EDT 2014

So today is a bad day for target-platforms: some changes were requested
and applied after TP was released. We'll investigate whether those
changes were actually necessary and if they are worth a TP respin.

But please, do anticipate required TP change! We cannot afford to change
TP on the day of a code freeze, that's a risky operation that slows us
down our reduce our ability to ship on time and increase the risk of
respins for QA.
The date of target-platform releases are on the JBDS-Tech calendar. Make
sure your requests get it on time.

Although many supposed urgent changes were applied to
4.40.0.Beta2-SNAPSHOT (and may issues created/revealed as a side
effect), all that just shows that urgent changes in TP are not good at all.
So my plan/with is still to use 4.40.0.Beta2 if possible. Depending on
the criticity of the issues those changes try to fix, we can think about
building a 4.40.0.Beta3 TP for JBoss Tools 4.2.0.Beta2. But that clearly
is a bad thing because it would make the code-freeze more complex
(master currently testing against Beta3-SNAPSHOT whereas it will be
branched and built against Beta2 or maybe Beta3, we don't know yet....))

On 05/22/2014 12:11 AM, Nick Boldt wrote:
> Seems we released this a bit too hastily. A 4.40.0.Beta3 is in
> progress now, which will fix these issues:
>
> * updated BIRT, compatible w/ M7: JBIDE-17266
This needs to be discussed. Maybe it could be in a respin? Or just
dropped out of Beta2 and get back in Beta3
> * updated m2e.java & m2e.apt: JBIDE-16757, JBIDE-17306
This is far from being a blocker for Beta2.
> * updated tern.java: JBIDE-17317
@Victor:
Is this really necessary? What blocker for beta2 was this change
supposed to fix? Couldn't you keep on depending on previous version of
tern.java for 4.2.0.Beta2 ?
How come you didn't request it earlier (before TP 4.40.0.Beta2 was released)

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>