[jbosstools-dev] freemarker repo weirdness..? nexus broken ?

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 11:47:52 EST 2014

OK, so let me restate my assessment:

The parent pom we used to build pointed at the 4.4x.0.Final-SNAPSHOT
target platforms, which are identical to the 4.4x.0.Final ones, so no
foul occurred.

The parent pom should have been rebuilt AFTER releasing the target
platforms. We updated the code [0] but didn't actually rebuild the
parent, so it still pointed at the -SNAPSHOT version, not the released one.

[0]
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-build/commit/da9599c5800b01529eca745e578cde640f7eb5e8

Hence the error reported was:

[ERROR] Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not resolve
target platform specification artifact
org.jboss.tools.targetplatforms:jbosstools-unified:target:jbosstools-unified:4.40.0.Final-SNAPSHOT

Had we rebuilt the parent pom after releasing the TPs, the user would
have instead tried to download target platform specification artifact
org.jboss.tools.targetplatforms:jbosstools-unified:target:jbosstools-unified:4.40.0.Final
(not -SNAPSHOT).

As we can see from
https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/snapshots/org/jboss/tools/parent/4.2.0.Final-SNAPSHOT/parent-4.2.0.Final-20141015.125413-1.pom
(which is the version built on Oct 15, 2014 8:53:50 AM, build #40), the
target platform reference is to

<TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION>4.40.0.Final-SNAPSHOT</TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION>
<TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION_MAXIMUM>4.41.0.Final-SNAPSHOT</TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION_MAXIMUM>

But when we look at the rebuilt version from Nov 12 (#41) [1], we see
the corrected code:

<TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION>4.40.0.Final</TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION>
<TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION_MAXIMUM>4.41.0.Final</TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION_MAXIMUM>

[1]
https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/snapshots/org/jboss/tools/parent/4.2.0.Final-SNAPSHOT/parent-4.2.0.Final-20141112.233742-2.pom

So... as I said before, the solution was to rebuild the parent pom for
external contributors to use. I was wrong about the nexus purge, however.

Nick