[jbosstools-dev] dockerization of jbosstools-website

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 13:20:33 EST 2014

Hi,

To experiment with docker and actually make it useful I today pushed a
Dockerfile + .dockerignore to
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-website

I have not yet updated the docs so the info on how to use it is
currently in the commit:
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-website/commit/c9b9224a89f73f7bb6205c7cd5837732d209a4eb

But basically now instead of following the somewhat complicated full
setup of ruby/awestruct you do this:

Install Docker (or boot2docker if on windows/osx)

Build docker image:
$ cd jbosstools-website
$ docker build -t jbosstools-website  .

(this takes a while: 10-40 min dependent on network speed/cpu you got)

 From that time on you can now do this to run local website build:

$ docker run -it --rm -p 4242:4242 -v `pwd`:/jbosstools-website -t
jbosstools-website

(if on windows replace `pwd` with full path to your jbosstools-website
checkout)

Content will then be available at http://${DOCKER_HOST}:4242

So why is this interesting ?

Well, look at the Dockerfile - its simple steps to setup a ruby
environment.

Now imagine doing the same for a java environment. with maven and p2
mirrors for target platforms prepopulated/preconfigured (maybe even
jenkins - but it might not be needed anymore in the same degree as
before).

Suddenly you got a reproducible and isolated build system for any number
of eclipse plugins.

...and it can run anywhere and we can start testing and building in full
isolation.

This could become really useful!