[jbosstools-dev] [cross-project-issues-dev] TM withdrawal from Mars

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 06:08:18 EST 2014

On 24 Nov 2014, at 9:35, Mickael Istria wrote:

> On 11/24/2014 09:16 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> If it is not available in Mars we can't really depend on it without
>> we start bundling it and then we own the maintaence of It risking
>> others will bundle other versions and we'll be incompatible. It is
>> bad enough there now are multiple terminals, but multiple ways to
>> define and connect to remote hosts for file transferring. That would
>> be a mess.
> Why not simply contributing to the project in case we have things to
> contribute?

I have not said we should not contribute to it. That is probably what we
need to do - the current situation is not stable.

> I don't understand why being in Mars/not being in Mars makes a
> difference about how to contribute to this project and how much we can
> rely on it.

If it is not in Mars we can't rely on it being in users base eclipse
install.

> It's just that current contibutors are resigning from this project, it
> doesn't require anyone to fork it.

If noone is putting it into Mars someone will either rely on what is in
Eclipse Kepler OR fork/use something else to define remote FTP/SCP
connections in their mars release.

meaning duplicate setup and whatnot.

>> So sure, there are hacks for bundling this in. None of them are
>> sustainable if the project is looking for termination.
> If we don't want project to terminate, and if multiple people need it,
> then it's up to its adopters (including us) to affirm that we are
> ready to make the necessary efforts to provide and review patches to
> keep the project somehow alive. Given the maturity of the project, it
> shouldn't represent too much work to keep it alive.
> Things will be a mess only if we let them be a mess, but just not
> changing anything to current state of the project would be enough to
> avoid that mess.

> However, if there is a better replacement, it may be a good time to
> use the better one; but if there is not, then we should IMO step up
> and say that we don't want project to terminate.

Yes, that is why i'm on tm-dev and cross-project-issues now to figure
out what is going on.

In short: this is a big deal since this was *not* something we planned
to take upon us. and if we don't do it we still need to rework how we
do our RSE integration/build. Anyone volunteering to help out ?

>> why are we using their dedicated repo and not the release train as we
>> do for other things ? To get source for Dev to or?
> Yes, I think so, on Rob's request.

As long as we are actually using the release train version and not
"latest/greatest" build from RSE that should be fine.