[jbosstools-dev] Question on data virtualization runtimes and where downloadRuntime support belongs

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 15:13:51 EDT 2015

After some discussion with PGR, we think it makes more sense for the
detection to live in the Teiid Designer repository.

Teiid Designer currently only has code for detecting teiid in *running*
servers, with no support for identifying a Teiid installation in servers
that aren't running.  This makes sense for their use case (server may be
remote) but is not useful for runtime detection at all.

TD currently is not involved in the server creation at all, but rather
just adds listeners so that once a server is added, or started, they can
begin their configuration / build up their model. They also provide
editor extensions that allow setting fields on the IServerWorkingCopy.

*Barry*:   One thing that would help tremendously with identifying
installations in non-running local servers is if I could have a map of
Teiid / DV releases and what underlying JBoss / Wildfly / EAP versions
they correspond to. What I've heard so far is that Teiid 7.x was based
on JBoss 5, while the 8.x stream is for AS7.  It's pretty important to
get a full mapping of supported releases to their underlying JBoss
version, though. This way I can properly implement the Server Bean
Loaders / Runtime detection.

One final thing to note, which I think we should bring up to the Teiid
runtime team directly, is that DV product properly uses the layer system
in JBoss 7.  It has the expected
org/jboss/as/product/dv/dir/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file,  with the
expected attribute JBoss-Product-Release-Version: 6.1.0...

But the community releases of Teiid *do not*.  They simply put
everything in modules/system/layers/base, with no clear way of
identifying a version. If I wanted to look at the version here, I'd need
to introspect
teiid-8.10.0.Final/modules/system/layers/base/org/jboss/teiid/api/main/teiid-api-8.10.0.Final.jar
and look at it's manifest.mf for the Bundle-Version,  which so far seems
accurate.

With all this in mind, it should be relatively painless (once I get that
version mapping from Barry) to get runtime detection + downloading
supported for Teiid Runtime / DV.   There may be some issues in
stacks.yaml  (since I'm not too familiar with all the bom stuff) but I
expect the version mapping will help me to properly pull from other
parts of stacks.yaml without issue.

- Rob Stryker

- Rob Stryker