[jbosstools-dev] Can we bump TP in jbosstools-4.3.x to 4.51.2.Beta1?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 07:12:16 EST 2015

On 9 Dec 2015, at 18:59, Denis Golovin wrote:

> I didn't like the Idea of locking JBT release to Specific Service
> Release
> because there was no way for user to understand what is going on when
> JBoss
> Tools update fails with 'encripted' error in install dialog.

What encrypted error ?

> Then we got remediation step in that tries to solve the problem and
> suggests solutions.
> I don't say I like the idea making JBossTools to require specific
> service
> release, but should not we reevaluate it with remediation step in
> place? How
> would that work now? Would it ask to install Eclipse Update? Is it
> good
> workflow for installation/update when some people who doesn't want to
> update eclipse have to choose?

For this specific SWT issue I don't think it is worth it but please
recall that
we added the remediation feature 2 years ago to handle *exactly* this
kind
of issue.

Remember when we did a point release and depended on a SR1 ? We
generated so many
error reports on Marketplace that the foundation was  asking us to fix
it asap
or we would be removed from the Marketplace.

That year we did a quick update to revert the version dependency and
then
we funded fixing p2 remediation to allow us to do this.

Thus, if we have *strong* enough reasons (i.e. we believe users are
better of using Mars.1 in all cases
since otherwise his hard drive will be erased or similar) then we have
the option to require .1+.

But it the only issue we have is this SWT issue that can be worked
around in Mars.0 I would say it is not worth
the user impact.