[jbosstools-dev] Question on all external users of IJBoss7ManagerService

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Sat Jun 27 00:16:54 EDT 2015

I need to know what kind of patch to make, before I simply show a patch.
Please read below.

>> while the jars in the wf8 plugin will work for as71 through wf9.
>
> in the first mail you said it was the wf9 jars that would make it
> better, now you say wf8 ? which one is it ?

The suggested patch is to change the wf8.management plugin's jars to use
wf9 jars, and change as7.1 and later (and all eap6.x) to use the wf9
jars in the wf8.management plugin.  So I mean just what I said: the jars
in the wf8 plugin (which, post-patch, would be jars from wf9).

>> This is pretty confusing, since someone might expect the jars in the
>> as71 plugin are the one being used for as71, which won't be the case.
>
> no, but I do not think this is a problem. the management.as71 means
> the "management jars from as71", right ? Not "the management jars used
> only for as71".

At this point, the various management plugins names have absolutely no
logical meaning. It doesn't mean "jars that work for server-X" and it
doesn't mean "jars FROM server-X".

As of right now, the as71.management plugin's jars are from eap6.1, and
works for as70 through eap6x (except for the one bug we found).

As of right now, the wf8.management plugin's jars are from wf8.2, and
work with all wildfly versions.

>  [sic]
> I never seen them as what their functionality are, but what client
> jars they contain.

As mentioned above, this isn't true.  The as71.management plugin has
jars from EAP6.1.   In the past we had two plugins for as7x vs wf, and
would just try to find the best jars to fit there, regardless of where
they were from.

The suggested patch is to change the wf8.management plugin's jars to use
wf9 jars, and change as7.1 and later (and all eap6.x) to use the wf9
jars in the wf8.management plugin.

After the patch, the as70 adapter would use the as71.management plugin's
jars, which are actually from eap6.1 (usecase is unchanged from previous).

After the patch, the as71 adapter would use the "wf8.management"
plugin's jars, which are actually jars from wf9 (after this PR).

Maybe others find this logical... I find it very confusing... both the
current case and the post-patch case.

At this point, the various management plugins names have absolutely no
logical meaning. It doesn't mean "jars that work for server-X", it
doesn't mean "jars currently being used for server-adapter-X", and it
doesn't mean "jars FROM server-X".

The only way to give them a meaning that's consistent is one of the
following:
   1) Stick to "plugin names means jars FROM server-version-X"
   2) Stick to "plugin names means jars that work FOR server version X"

Both have their own problems.

Option 1 means I must rename plugins every time I get a set of jars from
a newer version of the app-server.
Option 2 is still kinda vague. Post-patch, technically, the eap6.1 jars
(in the as71.management plugin) WILL work for as71, but, as71 won't be
using them, as it'd be using the wf9 jars in the wf8.management plugin
to fix the above bug.

No matter what, the current situation makes no sense at all ;)