[jbosstools-dev] JBDS9/Mars Performance

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Mon May 4 05:59:30 EDT 2015

> I have a few things I'd like to ask/discuss about performance.

I'm cc'ing this on jbosstools-dev@ so those who are working on the
related issues can chime in too.
> 1) I heard that you know about some performance issues in latest
> JBDS/Eclipse builds. Could you point me to where can I find details
> about those issues ?

we have multiple reports over the last releases that our CDI and JPA
tooling gets slow on large projects.

Latest one was discussed on irc:
http://transcripts.jboss.org/channel/irc.freenode.org/%23jbosstools/2015/%23jbosstools.2015-04-29.log.html
(look for "attiand")

> 2) I'm just running performance tests for JBDS9 Alpha2 and will update
> mojo doc once I have the results.

which doc exactly ?

> 3) Have you noticed that "UI Responsiveness monitoring" was added in
> Mars M6? (you can find it in Preferences->General->Tracking). It would
> be cool to use it but the question is what treshold should I use ?
> I was thinking something around 1second, longer jobs shouldn't be
> running in UI thread.

+100

> 4) The last thing - I'm playing with a few projects in workspace
> (50+-, mostly eclipse plugins) and when I change required-bundle in
> MANIFEST whole Eclipse will freeze for 20seconds.
> I will have to investigate further, but is there any Dev I could talk
> to about similar performance issues which are (not yet) related to any
> component ?

Snjezana tend to be good at finding causes, but performance is important
for us all, so ask away here in jbosstools-dev and #jbosstools chat.

First you should do is grab a a few jstack's of that eclipse when it is
freezing and see what is showing up in the stack trace.

If that does not reveal anything connect a profiler (jvisualvm might be
enough) to spot the hotspots for your case.