[jbosstools-dev] Who would I ping for new sysprop to all runtime installer jars?

Martin Malina mmalina at redhat.com
Wed May 27 04:51:17 EDT 2015

> On 26. 5. 2015, at 20:31, Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 26 May 2015, at 18:39, Rob Stryker wrote:
>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-19852
>>
>> When using dl-runtimes to install DV or FSW, it runs the installer
>> jar.
>> The installer jar does not respect the installation path the user set
>> in
>> the dl-runtimes wizard. It can't, obviously, bc we never transmit it
>> the installer at all.
>>
>> It'd be great if we could agree on some sysprop we can set when
>> running
>> java -jar dv-6.1-installer.jar such that the installer checks it for a
>> default installation folder.
>>
>> Any ideas who I would ping over getting something like that
>> implemented
>> on the runtimes side?
>
> I don't think you'll ever be able to find a global agreement on it.
>
> But
>
> A) start by opening feature request against the installer - in this case
> TEIID or Data Virtualisation product.
>
> B) if the installer is a izpack based installer there might be ways to
> do it already:
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/IZPACK/Unattended+Installations
>    Try with java -DINSTALL_PATH=/opt/myplace -jar myinstaller.jar  to
> see if that works ?

Unfortunately it doesn't work.

For JBDS installer jar, running
java -jar installer.jar -options-template myinstaller.properties
generates the property file, but it's empty.

For DV, running the same command, the resulting property file includes "INSTALL_PATH=" which should indicate that you can set this property as Max suggested.

But running the installer with
java -DINSTALL_PATH=/Users/rasp/jbossqa/runtimes/jboss-eap-6.3.0 -jar jboss-dv-installer-6.1.0.redhat-3.jar
it will still offer this as the default path:
/Users/rasp/DV-6.1.0/jboss-eap-6.3

So no luck here.

-Martin