[jbosstools-dev] ACTION REQUIRED: making sure commits are in master, help INSIDE!!!

Rob Stryker rob.stryker at redhat.com
Sun Apr 17 11:55:34 EDT 2016

On 04/16/2016 01:43 AM, Fred Bricon wrote:
> Great initiative Rob!
> However, I looked at a few of these commits and it seems the commit
> analyzer generates a bunch of false positives. Eg.
> https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-openshift/commit/9f74be7e9e62b7693bad460a16e94c7abfb3669d.
> The commit sha1s are expected to be different between the branches.
> Did you check the commit messages?
>
> Where did you put your script?

I didn't attach my script, bc I was hesitant to attach a shell script to
a mailing list ;)
However, I've pasted it here:
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/356785/46090773/

In short, I don't compare sha1's.  I compare what's called a patch-id of
the commit.  This will be equal assuming text passed into it is equal
ignoring whitespace. So basically if a cherry-pick goes in 100% smoothly
from one branch to the other, it should be identical.

It will generate false positives any time there are merge errors, or
some small detail has changed.

The script first finds the most recent common ancestor between the two
branches. (line 27). It finds number of commits since last-common in
master (line 28) and the number since last-common in maintenance (line
31).  (Note: as currently coded, it will fail if the last common is more
than 1000 commits ago ;) )

The it executes git log --format="%H" -$FROMMAINT | cut -f 2 -d " " in
order to get the sha of every commit in maintenance since last common.

The it executes git log --format="%H" -$FROMMASTER | cut -f 2 -d " "  in
order to get the sha of every commit in maintenance since last common.

It then goes through each commit in the second command to get a patch-id
for each patch in master. (line 48) It then does the same for every
commit from maintenance. (line 57)

Finally, it ensures every patch-id in list of patch-id from maintenance
has a matching patch-id in master. (line 59)

It will generate false positives if the commits differ even slightly,
but, it will never *miss*.  If the patch-id is present in both, its
virtually guaranteed (as guaranteed as any hash can be) that the commits
are the same.

So if you rebased in master and used a slightly different commit
message, or if you changed one line of code, or cleaned up  imports, it
will flag this as unmatched.

BUT, at least you no longer need to slog through comparing 200 commits
on each branch line by line.  Now, we just have to deal with researching
a few false-positives instead.