[jbosstools-dev] ACTION REQUIRED: making sure commits are in master, help INSIDE!!!

Rob Stryker rob.stryker at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 17:09:51 EDT 2016

> great initiative - may I suggest you do a PR for your script and put
> it at
> https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-build-ci/tree/jbosstools-4.3.x/util
> where we have other such utilities.
>
> Also, might be easier if you put the run info into  jira since the
> output is quite hard to read/use here from mail.
>
> btw. it looks like this tool actually is very good at finding the
> false positives - i.e. change in pom.xml where it just changes version
> seem to be something you could filter out somehow ?

First, I disagree that these are false-positives ;)   These are commits
that are in maintenance that aren't in master.

And, in all honesty, I think it'd be a mistake to simply filter them
out. I think it's much better to list the false positive and let the
component owner use his judgment whether the patch needs further
inspection or not. Such simple version-changes will be very very easy
for a human to spot as irrelevant to master.  This may cause the
repository owner to waste 2-3 seconds for each commit, but it guarantees
that every possible unmatched commit is found.

I think this is much better and safer than possibly adding some logic to
filter out version changes and later discover that the logic was wrong
and so it was hiding legitimately missing commits from being shown.
Also, since we're not inspecting the patches at all, but rather
comparing patch-id's, it would make the script much much more complicated.

/Il meglio è nemico del bene  -  Perfect is the enemy of good

/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good
/
/