[jbosstools-dev] Jenkins pages take forever to load over https? Here's a solution!

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 14:58:11 EDT 2016

Having recently moved to Fedora 24, I forgot to set up kerberos when
setting up my new machine.

So, as a result, I've been seeing https pages from jenkins.mw taking
as long as 2 mins to load fully.

The solution?

a) ensure kerberos is installed and properly set up [1]
b) ensure kerberos ticket is enabled (kinit) [2]
c) ensure chrome is USING the ticket [3]
d) ensure chrome is configured to cache images/scripts/css files (so
page loads are faster)

[1] https://mojo.redhat.com/docs/DOC-1017803
[2] https://mojo.redhat.com/docs/DOC-1011190
[3] https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-configure-Google-Chrome-to-use-Kerberos

I can now load the above https pages in mere seconds (under 20 for
long /configure pages, under 10 for simpler ones) where before it was
between 90-120 seconds!

---

Something you might want to do is to have kinit run every time you
start vpnc. Here are the aliases I use for starting/stopping vpnc:

alias resolvconf8888='sudo ~/bin/resolvconf8888.sh' # see [4]
alias V='sudo vpnc-disconnect; sleep 2s; kinit -r 7d && klist -f; sudo
vpnc; resolvconf8888'
alias VV='sudo vpnc-disconnect; resolvconf8888'

[4] https://gist.github.com/nickboldt/7390a20ad5027a598d65ff44dcd5def5