[jbosstools-dev] PR templates

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 03:00:15 EST 2016

On 19 Feb 2016, at 3:10, Gorkem Ercan wrote:

> New feature from GitHub
> https://github.com/blog/2111-issue-and-pull-request-templates
>
> Since we don't do issues on GitHub, we can ignore that. But
> providing PR templates sounds like a good idea.

It does, until one realise it requires maintaining a single file across
40+ repos.
I so wish github could have a organisational wide repo to fall back on.

> Should we
> open a Jira(s) to follow up? What should the templates look like?

This made me remember I actually had a draft git commit template for
devdoc.

I've just pushed it to make it visible.

See
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-devdoc/blob/master/source/git_templates.adoc
and
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-devdoc/blob/master/source/git_commit_template

I've used that for a while now and at least for me it makes me remember
to format
lines so they look great everywhere (yes, line length matters even on
github :), but
even more importantly it makes me remember to state the why and how's.

These aren't exactly PR templates, but since I never end up using the
web ui for PR
when I use `hub` these are what ends up in my github PR's.

Suggestions welcome and I'm all for adding PR templates and suggest we
start
by adding one to jbosstools-devdoc and we can then use that as a
template for
other repos. Some repos might want to list a few specific questions a PR
normally
should answer - but having a generic one for devdoc could be a good
fallback.

btw. suggestions welcome on my template - just a starting point.