[jbosstools-dev] Steps to reproduce Automated Error Report bot issues?

Marcel Bruch marcel.bruch at codetrails.com
Mon Jul 11 14:48:57 EDT 2016

> On 11 Jul 2016, at 19:00, Alexey Kazakov <alkazako at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Marcel, is there any way to interact with reporters after submitting a report?

Yes. Multiple ways.

1. If the reporter left an email address, you can contact them by email. See the “Contact X reporters…” link on the “reporters” panel on the problem page. This, however, only makes sense when the problem is relatively new b/c users usually can’t remember what they did 4 weeks in the past to (re)produce the error.

2. If a problem is turned into a bug report, there is a checkbox whether to inform all reporters about the newly crelated bug report. If the comment in Jira states something like “need steps to reproduce”, users may help. In addition, every new reporter will be pointed to this bug report when he/she experiences this problem on his machine. This increases the likelihood that a user provides further details (but after the bug is created).

3. Set the problem resolution (w/ or w/o JIRA ticket) to “cannot reproduce” and set an additional “custom resolution message”. These messages are displayed to new users when the submit an error report that matched this problem.

4. Set one (or more) needinfo flags. Problems tagged with needinfo are more displayed differently / attract the users attention with special icons etc.:

FWIW, the next version of the error reporter will offer a rich feature-set of needinfo flags for different purposes. E.g. for classloading problems AERI will run a local classpath analysis *before submission* and attach it to the error report and a few things more. I’ll send a longer description later this week.

For now, I’d go with approach 3, “close" with “cannot reproduce”.

If you wish, I can prepare a monthly email digests that summarizes all those problems in a separate email for further review. I can also set up an automated action that “reopens" these problems whenever a new user comment arrives. WDYT?

Marcel