[jbosstools-dev] ACTION REQUIRED: Migration to jgit timestamps and sprint-based fixversions

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 10:54:19 EDT 2016

In the next week, we'll be making some changes to the way the parent
pom and JIRA work for you.

--

a) jgit timestamps

Instead of a BUILD_ALIAS like Alpha1 or Beta1, which forces users to
download a whole JBT or devstudio install each time we release a new
milestone, plugins and features will soon use the timestamp of their
last change in github.

Note that two plugins will continue to have a BUILD_ALIAS applied:
foundation.core & devstudio.central, which define the version of JBoss
Tools / devstudio used by ide-config.properties to assign the correct
URLs for Central and quickstarts. But as you'll see below, we will
start using Sprint numbers here instead of quality labels like Alpha
or Beta.

This change will roll out next week once we're done with the Jun 27 release.

ACTION REQUIRED: Now, when you're building locally, you will need to
*check in your changes* (to your local github clone, not to origin!)
in order to ensure that your local changes are seen as "newer" than
the stuff available on download.jboss.org, or in your ~/.m2/repo.

Ref: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-13671

--

b) sprint-based fixversions

Because we no longer need to do the waterfall method of Alpha -> Beta
-> CR -> Final, we will now start defining fixversions in JIRA using
the sprint numbers, S116, S117, S118, etc. I've for the moment left
the .Final and .GA fixversions in place for two reasons:

* because we need .GA in order to allocate issues to Target Releases
in the JBDS JIRA

* because this lets you differentiate between things completed for the
Final/GA release vs. things simply completed in a sprint.

This change has already been done, in order to see the impact on
downstream processes like jiralint.

I've also renamed the sprints so that they include their start/end
dates, rather than just "June 2016" because I figured that was more
meaningful. Dates format is yyyy/mm/dd - mm/dd. You can see this on a
board such as https://issues.jboss.org/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=3410&view=planning.nodetail&quickFilter=10746

ACTION REQUIRED: Nothing.

Ref: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-22619

--

If you have any concerns about these changes, please post them on the
associated JIRAs: