[jbosstools-dev] Refactoring openshift-restclient-java to depend upon OkHttp client

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Sun Jun 26 05:11:12 EDT 2016

> The current release of the openshift-restclient-java, for not so
> obvious
> reasons, depends on no less then 3 libraries to provide the underlying
> communication to the cluster server.  The following PR
> https://github.com/openshift/openshift-restclient-java/pull/179
> unifies
> this dependency to a single client which is based on OkHttp.  We are
> looking to make this change to:
>
> * Provide a common way to make REST calls
> * Simplify the authorization semantics to an openshift cluster
> * Simplify the pattern of making REST calls over what is done today
> * In future, take advantage of its SPDY support to move away from the
> oc
> binary dependency
> * Put us in a better position to move to the Fabric8 client (if that
> ever
> happens)
>
> Any comments or objects are welcome

0) "In future" about SPDY - what does that mean ? Can OKhttp already
talk with SPDY
    on Java 8 without changing the bootclasspath ?

1) did you look at the work Stuart Douglas did ? (see mail thread: "ALPN
in Java")
    Would that be a better option for SPDY ? That would work for Java 8
at least.

2) will this integrate with use of proxy settings etc. configured in
Eclipse ?
    that is what ECF today does for normal http URL connections, if you
are using
    a separate library my guess is that it is ignoring proxy and other
auth setup
    done in eclipse, but I could be wrong.