[jbosstools-dev] Migration to jgit timestamps

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 11:34:41 EDT 2016

On 30 Jun 2016, at 2:17, Nick Boldt wrote:

> (Previously, on "migrating to jgit timestamps"...)
>
> Instead of a BUILD_ALIAS like Alpha1 or Beta1, which forces users to
> download a whole JBT or devstudio install each time we release a new
> milestone, plugins and features will soon use the timestamp of their
> last change in github.
>
> Note that two plugins will continue to have a BUILD_ALIAS applied:
> foundation.core & devstudio.core.central, which define the version of
> JBoss
> Tools / devstudio used by ide-config.properties to assign the correct
> URLs for Central and quickstarts.

Just realised - this won't just be needed on the plugins, but also
needed to be reflected
on the feature, right ? P2 won't update individual plugins afaik unless
the feature
providing them bump too.

This might already be handed by tycho's jgit mechanism but just wanted
to be sure we didn't state it was just for the plugin if it also
includes
the feature and all up to whatever product feature.

> This is no longer true -- a dirty github workspace will still result
> in upversioned plugin timestamps. I believe this should even work
> across timezones, since the plugins I built appear to be timestamped
> in GMT, not EST.

so you removed the need for doing git commits for local testing ? great!

> Anyway, thanks for reading this far. The PRs in JBIDE-13671 have been
> applied, and fresh CI builds should be available tomorrow.
>
> Ref: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-13671

crossing fingers it will work - will definitely be nice seeing only
actual
changed updates in future.