[jbpm-dev] What's going on exactly

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Thu Aug 28 02:58:35 EDT 2008

Hi Bernd,

please see my response which can hopefully clarify the situation to some
extend.

 > Is JBoss BPM now a different project than jBPM? Or is it one?
 > Where is the exact goal of the BPM?
 > Where does this BPM-API should lead to?

The jBPM project is different from the the API+CTS effort. For the
JBossBPM (this brand name is by no means final) Mission see

http://jbpm.dyndns.org/jbpmwiki/index.php?title=APIMission

Whether and how jBPM4 will adopt this (or another) API is currently
being discussed and we can hopefully come to a conclusion by the end of
Sep-2008. Apart from jBPM4 there is another JBoss player in the BPM
space, which is DroolsFlow. There is a large overlap in functionality
between these projects, which the API+CTS can hopefully consolidate.

The situation with jBPM3 is, that it is currently our BPM solution that
we ship with the various platforms. The project didn't have a release
for over 9 months and generally lacked maturity from a product
perspective. This is what I take care of. Starting with jbpm-3.3 we will
have regular releases approximately every 8 weeks. The areas of
improvement will be: automated qa, installer, console, maven build, scm

http://jbws.dyndns.org:8280/hudson/job/jBPM-Matrix/
http://jbpm.dyndns.org/jbpmwiki/index.php?title=JBPM3BuildingTheInstaller
http://jbpm.dyndns.org/jbpmwiki/index.php?title=JBPM3BuildingFromSource
http://jbws.dyndns.org:8180/gwt-console

There won't be much added functionality in jBPM3. Innovation happens in
jBPM4, which will hopefully replace jBPM3 at some point in the future.

Obviously, we need replacement criteria and provide a stable API at the
same time that our enterprise customers can rely on. This is waht the
API+CTS is about.

In the meantime, the API+CTS is work in progress and will hopefully see
much cooperation from the various camps such that we end up with a
solution that our experts agree on.

Finally, I must apologize for creating this confusion in the first
place. The API+CTS started off as part of the jBPM3 productization
effort and used the jBPM mailing list and forums for communication.
Later we realized that we need to do some more home work on bringing all
the players together. Until this is sorted, you should see no more posts
on the API+CTS on the jBPM infrastructure. If you still like to stay
informed please visit http://jbpm.dyndns.org/jbpmwiki

Bottom Line: If you are a jBPM contributer, stay with jBPM, PVM, etc.
until you hear from Tom Baeyens whether and how the project aligns with
the JBoss BPM API+CTS effort.

cheers
-thomas