[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - Re: Defining the API Mission

tom.baeyens@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 17 04:15:05 EDT 2008

"heiko.braun at jboss.com" wrote : Quoting Bruce Silver:

  | anonymous wrote :
  |   | BPMN is a modeling notation more than just a diagram, since each element has defined process semantics, abstracted from implementation details but BPMN has no official XML schema, i.e. no interchange format.
  |   | [...]
  |   | Bottom line is that neither XPDL nor BPEL today meets the real need of the BPM community, which is a portable serialization of process models not diagrams, models that is independent of implementation architecture.
  |   |

  | Taken from:
  | http://www.brsilver.com/wordpress/2007/03/21/the-real-issues-with-xpdl-bpel-and-bpmn/

I agree.  BPMN is indeed the only standard that has a real focus on the BPM community.

But Bruce's opinion is just one in a very crowdy and dissonant metal rock band.

http://blog.lombardicto.com/
http://www.brsilver.com/wordpress/2008/07/14/manchurian-candidate-in-the-bpmn-battle/
http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/07/BPMNDebate
http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/05/BPMN20
http://www.column2.com/2008/03/the-great-bpmn-debate/

So my conclusion is that BPM landscape is not mature at all and the current standards are not viable candidates to limit ourselves to.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4164951#4164951

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4164951