[jbpm-dev] Status jbpm-3.3.0.GA and sybase

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Sun Nov 9 09:41:27 EST 2008

Folks,

I'm happy to announce that we had a successful QA Matrix run on Sybase.

http://jbpm.dyndns.org:8280/hudson/job/jBPM3-ShortMatrix/8/

This has been possible with the help of Alejandro and Tom who worked
with me during the long night shifts over the weekend.

Now to the details and limitations:

We installed ASE-15.0.2 Developer Edition with EBF15682 and EBF15962

http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-12932

The tests run with the jConnect version that comes with EBF15962. This
jar is not part of the distribution and we currently have a hard coded
system dependency on the driver.

# [JBPM-1820] Replace proprietary sybase driver with OS alternative
SYBASE_JDBC_DRIVER=/opt/sybase/ase1502dev/shared/lib/jconn3.jar

The jConnect driver does not support CLOB which is the SQL data type for
hibernate type="text". I created special sybase hibernate mappings for
sybase

[tdiesler at tdvaio trunk]$ find . -name "*sybase.hbm.xml"
./modules/core/target/classes/org/jbpm/context/log/variableinstance/StringUpdateLog.sybase.hbm.xml
./modules/core/target/classes/org/jbpm/context/exe/variableinstance/JcrNodeInstance.sybase.hbm.xml
./modules/core/target/classes/org/jbpm/context/exe/variableinstance/StringInstance.sybase.hbm.xml
./modules/core/target/classes/org/jbpm/job/Job.sybase.hbm.xml

which are then concatenated into hibernate.cfg.sybase.xml

Various core tests have been excluded. This documents what functionality
is not supported on Sybase using the current setup.

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBPM-1824

<!-- [JBPM-1824] Investigate core test failures against Sybase -->
<exclude>org/jbpm/db/DeleteProcessInstanceDbTest.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/graph/exe/SubProcessPlusConcurrencyDbTest.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/jbpm1072/JBPM1072Test.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/jbpm1755/JBPM1755Test.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/jbpm983/JBPM983Test.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/job/executor/JobExecutorDbTest.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/optimisticlocking/LockingTest.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/scheduler/exe/UnsafeSessionUsageTest.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/seam/JobExecutorCustomizationTest.java</exclude>

The ASE-15.0.2 Develper Edition does not support XA Transactions

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBPM-1824

As a result, <local-tx-datasource> has been used and the bulk of
enterprise tests needed to be excluded

<!-- [JBPM-1818] Use Sybase instance that supports XA Transaction -->
<exclude>org/jbpm/scheduler/ejbtimer/EjbSchedulerTest.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/persistence/jta/JtaDbPersistenceTest.java</exclude>
<exclude>org/jbpm/msg/jms/JmsMessageTest.java</exclude>

AFAIC, we can release 3.3.0.GA on Monday,11-Nov as promised. The release
would however have the documented limitations described above. We would
then work on an SP1 to come out shortly after.

Alejandro has done work with the open source jtds driver, which
apparently supports type="text" and might overcome some of the above
limitations. This work is still in progress and can now continue from a
functional baseline as reported by Hudson.

cheers
-thomas

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx