[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - API first cut available for jBPM3

thomas.diesler@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 18 04:13:17 EST 2008

Folks,

following our team meeting in Antwerp I trimmed down the API+CTS that I had in the incubator project to the functionality and concepts that we agreed on.

http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-12945

In Antwerp we decided that the threading model that is native to jBPM (i.e. borrowing the client Thread) should be supported by the API, which actually makes a mapping to the jBPM3 code base possible.

How the API+CTS can be integrated in the Maven build is documented here

http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-12871

the Java Doc is here

http://jbpm.dyndns.org/jbpm-spec/jbpm-spec-api/apidocs/index.html

Doing this work for jBPM3 has multiple benefits.

It will be much easier to decide when jBPM3 functional equivalence is reached

Projects that require a stable API but also have a dependency on jBPM3 can start to decouple from jBPM3 implementation detail and interface with the API. This is particularly true for the GWT-Console and to some extend to the GPD.

The migration to jBPM4 will be seamless for projects that use the API as an integration point

TomB who leads the API and provides an implementation for jBPM4 can reuse the jBPM3 integration and make good progress in jBPM4.

Folks that know jBPM3 can start to provide qualified and meaningful feedback based on API signatures and CTS test implementations

Over the next couple of weeks I still expect to see some movement in the API+CTS snapshot artefacts until it becomes clear what will actually go into 3.3.1 and 4.0.0.Alpha1 respectively

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4190004#4190004

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4190004