[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - API first cut available for jBPM3

Tom Baeyens tbaeyens at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 04:26:53 EST 2008

The scope of jBPM 3 work is already way beyond the resources we have for it.  We
should focus on the necessary work to put jBPM 3 in maintenance rather then
introducing a new API on it.

We said in the meeting in the context of the migration debate that no API will be
introduced in jBPM 3.  A new API will be introduced in jBPM 4.

regards, tom.

thomas.diesler at jboss.com wrote:
> Folks,
>
> following our team meeting in Antwerp I trimmed down the API+CTS that I had in the incubator project to the functionality and concepts that we agreed on.
>
> http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-12945
>
> In Antwerp we decided that the threading model that is native to jBPM (i.e. borrowing the client Thread) should be supported by the API, which actually makes a mapping to the jBPM3 code base possible.
>
> How the API+CTS can be integrated in the Maven build is documented here
>
> http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-12871
>
> the Java Doc is here
>
> http://jbpm.dyndns.org/jbpm-spec/jbpm-spec-api/apidocs/index.html
>
> Doing this work for jBPM3 has multiple benefits.

> It will be much easier to decide when jBPM3 functional equivalence is reached

> Projects that require a stable API but also have a dependency on jBPM3 can start to decouple from jBPM3 implementation detail and interface with the API. This is particularly true for the GWT-Console and to some extend to the GPD.

> The migration to jBPM4 will be seamless for projects that use the API as an integration point

> TomB who leads the API and provides an implementation for jBPM4 can reuse the jBPM3 integration and make good progress in jBPM4.

> Folks that know jBPM3 can start to provide qualified and meaningful feedback based on API signatures and CTS test implementations
>
> Over the next couple of weeks I still expect to see some movement in the API+CTS snapshot artefacts until it becomes clear what will actually go into 3.3.1 and 4.0.0.Alpha1 respectively
>

> View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4190004#4190004
>
> Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4190004

regards, tom.