[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - Re: API first cut available for jBPM3

thomas.diesler@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 18 04:30:00 EST 2008

Here a few notes on differences and limitations

ProcessInstance => Process

In Java an object instance is commonly called Foo not FooInstance. The standard talks about an "instance of a Process" rather than a ProcessInstance

Execution => Token

We agreed that an 'Execution' is not the same as a 'ProcessInstance' and should therefore exist as two separate entities in the API. Token is the concept that is known to jBPM3 users already and also appears under this name in the standards.

Tokens may have a parent child relationship, Process' do not.
A Process can be started, a Token cannot.
A Process has structure (i.e. child Nodes), a Token has not.

I didn't (yet) adapt the XML marshalling layer. Currently this is implementation detail of the dialect that is actually used in combination with the CTS and does neither effect CTS test cases nor API signatures. In other words, if the dialect is pluggable anyway it does not matter much what the actual XML will look like.

This becomes however important as soon as XML snippets enter  the documentation. My mid Dec this should be settled so that we can start posting process definitions in XML

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4190009#4190009

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4190009