[jbpm-dev] jBPM-3.3.0 is in fact backward compatible

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Fri Nov 21 02:59:00 EST 2008

Folks,

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBPM-1843

I pleased to tell you that we don't need to revert the jbpm-3.3.0
schema. The current 3.3.0 schema is indeed backward compatible. Here is
the proof

#1 On Sybase I created a jbpm322 database, which I loaded with the
jbpm-3.2.2 schema

#2 I resurrected the SchemaUpdate tool (JBPM-1823) to generate a
jbpm-3.3.0 schema update script (this only adds one column)

#3 I created a jbpmcomp database, which I loaded with the jbpm-3.2.2
schema and the jbpm-3.3.0 update script

#4 I point the QA matrix at the jbpmcomp database

The Matrix runs successful
http://jbpm.dyndns.org:8280/hudson/job/jBPM3-Matrix/11/

That mean that customers can upgrade to jbpm-3.3.0 without having to
change the datatype from varchar(4000) to text. Hibernate + the Sybase
jTDS driver will compensate for the difference in SQL data type and work
with both schemas.

New installations can use the jbpm-3.3.0 schema and can be expected to
work. This was shown by the original jbpm-3.3.0.GA QA runs.

cheers
-thomas

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx