[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - Re: meeting context

camunda do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Oct 7 11:42:21 EDT 2008

For me, the most important point is really to sync everybody, so that we know in which direction we are heading (with jBPM4, PVM, BPEL, API-Proposal, BPMN, ...).

And I would like to discuss some of the proposals made here. For me, the strength of jBPM is simplicity, but beeing powerful at the same time. A lot of projects I have been in or at least know embed jBPM in their architectures/applications. For me it is crucial to conserve this! Some discussions or proposals in the direction BPMN/API were too abstract and theoretical in my opinion. jBPM has a long history, a bunch of experience and had some nice pragmatical approaches. That should be considered when discussing jBPM 4. There is a reason why the people like jBPM :-)

BPMN is indeed an important notation. But I would see the way to go more in a BPMN -> jPDL or a BPMN -> PVM mapping. The latter may be already close to an Executable BPMN. By the way: Executable BPMN is still heavily under research and not yet usable in practice. Good to keep up to date, but really rely on it completely is not the right track in my eyes. And at least it should be done during a real life project, not developed in the lab! My vote: The core engine should kept a simple state machine as it is now.

And I think these thoughts, where I know we have different opinions on the table ;-), need to be discussed first in the meeting, since that's the basis for everything else!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4180817#4180817

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4180817