AW: [jbpm-dev] BPMcenter interesting links

Tom Baeyens tbaeyens at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 05:23:26 EDT 2008

Check at the bottom of the page.  It says "Last updated: 05/19/05."  :-)

But now seriously:

Workflow patterns is nice background information, but (as many things in BPM) takes a
lot of interpretation in order to claim you support it.

The first version of the patterns contained vague descriptions.  After I came to the
PVM concept, I went there and tried to explain him how on our framework, we could
just code any behaviour that we wanted (as long as process instance runtime state
structure could support it).  He didn't get that and only pushed to supply concrete
executable processes and their behaviour so that he could evaluate.

So I started with supplying them unit tests on the first workflow pattern and then
asking whether they acknowledged the support for this pattern.  They didn't really
acknowledge how we supplied just snippets of a unit test and they didn't want to read
the semantics that way.  Also I felt that they don't consider you to be a real bpm
system if you don't have persistence.  For some of the patterns like deferred choice
they sayd something like "3 tasks should be offered to participants and when the
first participant takes the task..." which implies a lot of infrastructure around the
plain control flow.  That's where it became too fuzzy for me.

I didn't have a new look to their second version of the patterns for which they have
claimed to have solved the vagueness critique.

In summary: It is good to check jPDL against the patterns and get some inspiration
from that.  Probably between the last alpha and the first beta release, that could be
a good timing.

But we should not handle this work as a dogmatic basis.  Then your resulting process
language might become too complex.  As some of the patterns (depending on the
interpretation) might create unnecessary complexity.

regards, tom.

Heiko Braun wrote:

> guys, that's quiet contradictory to what say on the forums.
> the page states "jBpm is an open-source workflow initiative that
> acknowledges the work on patterns.", but whenever that discussion
> regarding patterns has been put on the plate most of you tried to
> explain me why we don't need patterns and that "real" users never "asked
> for that".
>
> What's up?
>
> /Heiko
>
> On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 08:22 +0200, Bernd Rücker wrote:
>> Huhu :-))

regards, tom.