AW: [jbpm-dev] Migration

Joram Barrez joram.barrez at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:09:23 EDT 2008

Agreed,

It depends on how you look at it. In some use cases, it is conceptually
correct to see tasks, processes, etc as being part of the domain model. The
main advantage then of having direct access to a Hibernate sessions allows
to create queries that take in account own domain models and the bpm model.

eg. give me all the tasks involving documents with author X. With jBPM, this
is easy *and* accessible for average developers (who know Hibernate).

IMO, it is impossible to create an API that covers all these kinds of use
cases. It will be too complex and still be restrictive for some. In my
experience, people tend always tend to need that functionality that is not
supported out of the box (and the next customer finds another one ...)

But now for the compatibility isues, my opinon:

- When frameworks change, people understand that some code will need to be
rewritten. People understand that there is a price for the newer features.
eg. Hibernate code configured with XML -> annotations. I do believe that
there should be a  'compatibility mode', which means that jBPM3 process
definitions should be able to run on the jBPM4 engine. If this is feasible,
I think it will solve most of the people's problem with upgrading.

- DB conversions is, I think, more needed: some of the people I have worked
with have processes that an run up to 5 years. So for me conversion of DB
state is the most important.

Regards

Joram