[jbpm-dev] jBPM4 Design Topics

Joram Barrez joram.barrez at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:43:01 EDT 2008

Thomas,

Thanks for putting your ideas clearly in a document. It helps me to
understand some things you've been saying.

There are points in the document that deserve discussion.However, I do get
the impression that you see the ideal jBPM as a 'standalone service'. ie you
signal a process to start and then poll the service until you get a
response. This is a valid use case, ie the JBoss server + the enterprise
jbpm EJBs come close to this idea (altough the are some flaws, that is
true).

But I think that you are forgetting that many (or almost every, altough in
my experience) use jBPM in an embedded way. Many use cases see a process
engine call as an integral part of some business logic unit of work that has
to run in the same transaction. For example a save to the database of a
domain model (employee for example) is only valid when the enlisting process
is started correctly.

This is the great strength of jBPM, compared to other products (mostly
exposing BPM as a service that can be queried through some (remote) api),
that jBPM can easily be embedded in any technology: I've used jBPM with
Spring, with EJBs (MDB, statelss SB), as a webservice, etc. Many vendors
provide monolithic BPM service products. I think jBPM has become popular
with developers because it is exactly the opposite.

Please clarify if I'm seeing this all wrong! But the opinion I got when I
read your document was not that of an embeddable BPM engine.

If I see the level of the dicussion going on nowadays, I'm really looking
forward to next week!

Regards

Joram