[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - Process/task search based on variables

frantisek.kocun@gmail.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Sep 30 14:41:05 EDT 2008

Hi,
i would like to search for tasks and processes the same way I search for business objects. Our client has a library for defining filter, and it sends the filter to server. On server hibernate query is constructed from filter and the results are sent back to client.

I would like to use the same mechanism for searching for business task. But tasks + variable instances don't have such a simple structure. E.g. "friend link" example in book Seam in Action, chapter 14. I would program, that the process has two variables one is friend1 which create the request and the second is friend2 which can either accept or reject request. On one page I would like to show a table of all requests, so I would like to create a filter for all tasks where logged user is in variable friend2. Maybe you think it is better to assign task to some user. In this case maybe yes, but many times we offer editation of business objects(not users) and we need to search for tasks based on this object and assigned to logged user. Now I support searching for tasks with some criteria on business objects. E.g. friend1.age>30 searches for all the tasks where the age of friend in variable friend1 is older than 30. (Of course it makes few selects instead of one, because of any mapping of object variablesand you need to specify process and task name in the method you are calling).

Except business objects I support String attributes, but to support all other attributes I need open api of JbpmType.
I need these public methods:
public boolean matches(Class variableClass) ;
public JbpmTypeMatcher getJbpmTypeMatcher();
public Class getVariableInstanceClass ();

Do you think it is possible/reasonable? If it helps somebody I can ask my colleagues if I can post our filter solution. And if you like it you can pack it in jbpm library. It was developed for searching business objects and we want to make a simple api for searching for tasks (our filter doesn't know that there are some VariableInstances and value conversions..). Or do you prepare any solution for this in the future?

Thanks

Fero

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4179648#4179648

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4179648