[jbpm-dev] BPMN 2.0 implementation

Sebastian Schneider schneider at dvz.fh-aachen.de
Sun Dec 13 13:30:20 EST 2009

Good evening folks!

A few days ago I read Joram's great blog post about BPMN 2.0 and jBPM:
http://www.jorambarrez.be/blog/2009/12/04/jbpm-goes-bpmn/

First of all my congratulations for your work and thanks to everybody
who is putting effort into this. It is really astonishing to see how the
PVM can be leveraged to implement BPMN 2.0.

Regarding the implementation I have some questions:

You seem to have implemented a basic parsing of BPMN 2.0 process
definitions already. Does this mean that the OMG has agreed on a
serialization format? From what I could see in Joram's post it is not XPDL.

In his post Joram wrote that task-forms can already be used with BPMN
process definitions. Is the storage of the necessary information about
which form to use a jBPM-specific thing, a BPMN standard or a kind of
extension which is supported by BPMN?

Are you planning to extend the GPD to support modelling in BPMN 2.0?
Or will it be possible in the future to use the Signavio Editor to
design process models which are executable? AFAIK right now they use
their own file format to store BPDs and jPDL in case you are using the
jBPM stencil set which is quite limited.

AFAIK there is the Eclipse BPMN modeler. Assuming they are going to
support BPMN 2.0 it would be possible to use this editor, right? So
implementating an own BPMN-2.0 Eclipse editor would not make sense?
What's your opinion on this?

Lots of questions. I'd love to hear your statements and your opinions on
these.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Schneider