[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - Re: oryx and jbpm

eikish do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Feb 26 11:59:19 EST 2009

Ronalds description of the XForms editors is right on the money. Our own form editor is built from the perspective of an end user not a developer.
However when we edit "process" forms which basically are jbpm tasks the only added complexity is that the developer must bind process/task variables to the inputs. But everything is done visually so that's not hard to do. We haven't released it to other developers other than our partners yet because we want to improve it substantially but it's used in production already.

Just for fun here are some screenshots:

The list of deployed jBPM processes and their "human" tasks
[img]http://www.idega.is/content/files/public/formbuilder/80.png[/img]

One jBPM process opened (in that particular version) and we see the editable tasks (forms are also versioned so we can change old running tasks and variables)
[img]http://www.idega.is/content/files/public/formbuilder/81.png[/img]

"Start task" in the design mode (also have source and preview).
On the right are the used and unused variables from jbpm.
[img]http://www.idega.is/content/files/public/formbuilder/83.png[/img]

You can have sections as well
[img]http://www.idega.is/content/files/public/formbuilder/84.png[/img]

Binding a variable and setting its access attribute (changing the definition and running process instances).
[img]http://www.idega.is/content/files/public/formbuilder/79.png[/img]

Final form displayed in chiba (the css is of course customisable). "Custom" component at the buttom (done in source view)
[img]http://www.idega.is/content/files/public/formbuilder/87.png[/img]

Lastly here what our "task list" looks like for one of our clients (viewed as a case handler). This mixes it all together: roles supply the tasks from jbpm (custom actor resolution), we make documents out of everything (read only xforms or generate pdf), the system auto attaches emails related to the case, we support eSignatures and we access control the contacts. The handlers can access control everything to different roles:
[img]http://www.idega.is/content/files/public/formbuilder/case.png[/img]

Our reason for doing an Oryx extension is so we can visually reuse our reusable (sub)processes that we are using all the time in new processes for clients. As well as to be able to control some metadata about the process for example if a task should become a document or not and if it is signable or not. We then want to automatically jump to the xforms editor while developing processes to make it faster to develop solutions.

We would be happy to work on a jboss hosted extension of Oryx. So go ahead and set it up. We have planned to start in march/april on it.

A side note about the forms:
We are a little dependant on Chiba at the moment but in the future I can see supporting other "renderers" like this new Google project:
http://code.google.com/p/ubiquity-xforms/
Especially because Chiba is heavy on the memory resources in the current production version.

Cheers
Eiki, Idega.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4213450#4213450

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4213450