[jbpm-dev] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - Re: Implementation of XPDL in jBPM

sebastian.s do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Jul 12 08:45:14 EDT 2009

Hello Bernd,

first of all thanks for your personal assessment of this question. I've already read some of the articles you wrote about jBPM and about BPM systems in general and so it's nice to hear the opinion of somebody with your background.

I got confused a bit with the two standarized languages of the WfMC. I'm still new to the topic and to me it looked like there was a strong relation with BPMN on one side for the notation of processes and with XPDL on the other side for the execution of processes. kukultje already pointed out to me that this is not 100% true.

As far what I've seen and heard about jPDL it's not bad at all. To me it's just crucial to have a standarized format which is vendor-independent and commonly accepted. So in your opinion XPDL is not that important although it's standardised and it would make more sense to wait for BPMN 2.0 which will add semantics and process execution to the BPMN standard?

I took a look at the bonita project and one question came popping up immediately to me: Since they took the PVM to implement XPDL why didn't they contribute this to the jBPM project but started an own project instead? Of course they are free to do.

Regarding BPEL I agree. I somehow got the feeling that most people forgot the purpose of BPEL: orchestrating webservices. And the decision to use or not to use it should be based on the project requirements.

Best regards

Sebastian

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4243112#4243112

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4243112