AW: [jbpm-dev] No more jBPM 3 releases?

Tom Baeyens tbaeyens at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 07:49:56 EDT 2009

 > But this is a different statement compared to 'there are no more jBPM3
 > releases planned'). Would make a lot of sense to make this fully clear
 > in the community.

right. making this more clear and explicit is good.

the situation is that after the current product release, there are no platform releases planned in which jbpm 3 is
included.  so from that angle, we should not expect a lot of bug fixes to come from that direction.

 > Effectively jBPM 3 goes into a maintenance mode where
 > paying customers drive the possibility of next releases'.

the customer fixes are committed on the product branch jbpm-3.2-soa.  the product consumes directly from that branch.
meaning there no need for a jbpm community release in order for the product to get those fixes.

both for customers and for community users we should be able to fix and release major bugs.  but i want a very tight
filter on that for *only* the major bugs.

given the stabilization that jbpm 3 already had, i think not a lot of those should come out.  and hence i don't think
we'll see a lot of subsequent releases.

so imo, it will all depend on what kind of bugs we encounter on jbpm 3.

 > But does this
 > mean I should not put in any fixes anymore (not that I did that a lot,
 > but others did) just to prevent possible regressions?

as said above, we need to apply a very tight filter to maintain stability on jbpm 3 and allow us to make more progress
on jbpm 4.

so discuss much more then before on what you want to fix on jbpm 3.

i only want major bugs to be fixed in jbpm 3 code base.  there is too much risk of breaking things.  i have had several
occasions where i fixed a bug because someone wanted it and then ended up spending a lot of time fixing the collateral
damage.  in many cases it was just not worthed.

 > Or should I only
 > put them in trunk?

if we decide to fix it, we should do it in the product branch.  that is the only branch that we'll maintain going forward.

 > Or? Please guide us ;-)

let's summarize with these guidelines:
1) if bugs are fixed, they should be fixed in the jbpm3.2-soa branch.
2) we should apply a very tight filter of issues that we fix to avoid the risk of regression
3) whether we do a community release will depend on what kind of issues we'll encounter

does that help ?

regards, tom.

Ronald van Kuijk wrote:

> 2009/6/16 Tom Baeyens <tbaeyens at redhat.com <mailto:tbaeyens at redhat.com>>
>
>     for making the release, there is only the effort of releasing.  that
>     is not a lot of effort so we can do it once and a while.  so rest
>     assured.  it's not a political decision.
>
>     jbpm 3 already went through a lot of stabilization.  so there is
>     also the risk that if we fix something, that we introduce another
>     problem.
>

> So it is not only the effort of releasing, but also some additional QA
> (Stabilization != full QA, I know) ? Otherwise you would not be so
> reluctant (besides putting in the effort to fix the issue itself)
>

>     but for fixing the bugs, we are not proactively fixing all the bugs
>     that people report on jbpm 3.  we currently intend to only fix those
>     that come from clients.  and even for those reports we evaluate if
>     the risk of introducing new problems when fixing the given bug.
>

> But this is a different statement compared to 'there are no more jBPM3
> releases planned'). Would make a lot of sense to make this fully clear
> in the community. Effectively jBPM 3 goes into a maintenance mode where
> paying customers drive the possibility of next releases'. But does this
> mean I should not put in any fixes anymore (not that I did that a lot,
> but others did) just to prevent possible regressions? Or should I only
> put them in trunk? Or? Please guide us ;-)
>

>     i think we need to spend most bugfixing efforts on jbpm 4.
>

> I do not disagree with this, but I also agree with Bernd, jBPM 3 has a
> broad installed base. For me, jBPM 3 should at least have one more year
> of more development than what you suggest.
>

>     --
>     regards, tom.
>

>     Bernd Rücker wrote:
>
>         I thought as well that there will be bug fix releases (and maybe
>         even some new features if it really make sense). Why not? There
>         are a lot of jbpm 3.x users out there which will keep using it…
>

>         *Von:* jbpm-dev-bounces at lists.jboss.org
>         <mailto:jbpm-dev-bounces at lists.jboss.org>

regards, tom.